POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : Re: A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of pure mathematics
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2007 04:20:39
Message: <4742a6e7$1@news.povray.org>
>> For example, the Fourier transform allows you to construct any
>> function from sine and cosine functions.
>>

> This isn't quite true over the reals, even assuming you're only looking
> for functions with a given period.  For example the function which is
> zero everywhere except being 1 at a single point will generate the same
> Fourier representation as the constant zero function since it will have
> the same integrals.

O RLY?

My DSP textbook says the Fourier transform of the delta function yields
an amplitude of 1 for all frequencies. (Whereas the Fourier transform of
a zero signal would be a zero signal.)

> I think (no proof) that you can reconstruct any function up to the
> addition of a function which is nonzero over an area of zero `volume'
> though (assuming you don't count things like a delta functions).  Not
> that it matters for what you're doing of course, but you seem like the
> sort of chap who might find it interesting.
>

>> So, like, how do you tell if two functions are orthogonal? And how do
>> you tell when a set of them is complete?
>
> What are you using these function for?  There may be better or worse
> ways to do things depending on what you want.

JPEG compression works by decomposing an image into a set of (2D) cosine
waves, and then quantinising the data. In my opinion, cosines are not
actually a particularly good choice for this. (Gibb's phenominon is very
ugly to look at.) So I'd like to try it with other functions - but first
I need to work out how...

(A similar thing could be said about most [lossy] audio codecs known to
man. Of course, here Gibb's isn't a problem at all. Here the problem
becomes time invariance...)